According to TPM Muckraker, David H. Brooks, a former contractor who supplied the military with body armor, was found guilty today on 17 counts, including fraud and insider trading, after allegedly stealing millions of dollars from his company and bilking his shareholders.
Might I remind you what got Mr Brooks in trouble in the first place:
His indictment charged him with manipulating DHB’s financial records to increase earnings and profit margins, in that way inflating the price of DHB’s stock. Beyond the $10 million bat mitzvah for his daughter, a sampling of the charges authorities say Brooks concealed from shareholders and the IRS:
- $7,900 for a facelift for Brooks' wife
- more than $1 million for expenses related to his 100 trotting and breeding horses
- $101,190 for a belt buckle studded with diamonds, rubies and sapphires
- $101,500 for an armored vehicle for his family's use
- more than $1 million for numerous family vacations, including frequent stays at the Bellagio in Las Vegas and various Caribbean and European villas
- $31,802 to transport one of his daughters and her college friends to Halloween parties in Madison, Wisconsin, using a private jet
- hundreds of thousands of dollars in bonus checks drawn on a DHB bank account handed out by Brooks at a company Christmas party to non-DHB personnel, including his horse trainer
- and of course the predictable $10,000 here, $5,000 there for purchases at Luis Vuitton, Gucci, Gianni Versace, and Prada boutiques around the world
The good people at Corpwatch, who investigates and exposes corporate violations had this to say about war profiteering at the time of the indictments.
Today the victors of modern wars no longer rape and pillage as their predecessors did, instead they make extraordinary profits by giving contracts to their favorite companies to rebuild what they have destroyed and then hand the bill to local taxpayers to pay.There is a special place in hell for people and corporations who profit off of war. Welcome to hell, Mr Brooks!