Friday, December 03, 2010

Antrel Rolle is a Big, Dumb Animal

I don't know anything about Antrel Rolle, until tonight I had never heard his name.  There is one thing I know for sure is that Antrel Rolle is a big dumb animal who gets paid too much money to play a game.  A game that is not war.

I've kind of lost my interest in football since my son was killed in Iraq 6 1/2 years ago.  I do not, however, begrudge the time and money people spend following NFL games; it's just not that interesting to me anymore.

Some people seem to have lost their perspective on what is important in life and their comments show it.

From the NY Daily News
 In an attempt to defend ripping Giants fans Tuesday for booing the team, Rolle said: "They want to make it that guys paid this much money for a ticket. Yeah, I understand that, I understand completely. We risk ourselves out there on the field each and every day also. When soldiers come home from Iraq you don't boo them. I look at it the same way. I take my job seriously."

I'm glad Mr Rolle takes his job seriously; he should, for a salary of $37 million dollars for a 5 year contract for playing football for the NY Giants.  Unless you have sworn an oath, put on a uniform and walked in those boots, you cannot compare yourself with a soldier.  Ever.  Hearing Rolle's comments, I suspect Rolle does not personally know anyone who has served in the military.  I also suspect, despite his self-aggrandizing, that given the chance to actually serve in the military, Mr Rolle would not have the courage or fortitude to even complete basic training.  My son, 1Lt Ken Ballard who was KIA 5.30.2004 will always be a better man than Antrel Rolle will ever be

Although the apology offered by Rolle seemed sincere, he needs to filter what comes out of his mouth and then an apology would not be necessary.  Unfortunately, there are plenty of reasons to believe what comes out of ones mouth is true. Until Rolle puts on those boots, he needs to keep his mouth shut.

Although Rolle admits he is not a politically correct guy, he blames that on his mother, he needs to understand that the military is currently at war and a little respect for the job that our military does is required from others who are not willing to step up for their country.

Nearly 6000 members of the military have been killed in these wars, 5 times as many have been seriously wounded.in the last 9 years since fighting began in Afghanistan and Iraq.  One final bit of wisdom to Antrel Rolle.  What he plays is a game, and war is not a game.  It's never a game.  He needs to remember that when he puts on his uniform this Sunday.

1 comment:

libhom said...

Thanks for pointing out the difference between war and a game. You shouldn't have to, but with some people, you do.