Friday, July 21, 2006

Happy Birthday, Buddy!


Kenneth Michael Ballard weighed 7 pounds, 7 ounces when he entered the world, my world on 7.21.77.

He was the best gift God could ever give a mom. I was the lucky one. I was so proud to be his ma. Ken embraced life and didn’t let anything stand in his way. From the day he was born, this world was his! From the first moment in the morning when his eyes popped open, to the time his head hit the pillow at night, he had 2 speeds- Fast & Off. How I tried to keep up with him!

Today he would have been 29. This is the 3rd year I have not heard from him on his birthday, the 3rd year of getting used to living a life without him. 3 years seems a lifetime! They say a child who has a long delivery will have a long life. It didn't work out that way. He was killed in Iraq on 5.30.04.

Of course I am devastated about Ken's death. I do not wish this journey of bereavement on anyone. My days seem to be filled with death; every death in Iraq, this illegal occupation.

We will celebrate Ken's life this weekend because he lived and we will not forget that.

I miss you, buddy!

Happy Birthday greetings also to Bonnie, Mary & Ken E. Paul Wellstone's birthday is today, too, another good guy who left this world too soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Ken..i know you are up in heaven celebrating today....probably got all the guys (including my brother) all gathered around having some cake, ice cream, and maybe even a birthday drink. make sure you send your mom some love today...she needs it. i can tell you that from the first time i met karen at the san franciso town hall meeting, i could see how much she loves you. she was and is still so very proud of you. i know how much she misses you.

well, again, happy birthday, and tell mikey i said hello and that i love him...

christine

karen....be strong, ken is with you today and always...

brainhell said...

What a classic photo! I hope he got much amusement from it.

Anonymous said...

Hey Ken,
what a party that would have been. We love and miss you. I know you're watching over Felix... you're keeping him safe.
Karen... stay strong and thanks for all you do.
Mrs. Cas!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Ken.